Grade 6: Ask Your Family
Today we talked about a few different marital traditions within Judaism. We discussed the following:
- The chatan and kallah not seeing each other week before the wedding
- Fasting on the wedding day
- Separation of men and women prior to the wedding ceremony
- Chatan’s Tish
- Kabbalat Panim
As we discussed, couples often choose to incorporate all, some, or a mix of these traditions into their own Jewish wedding. Every wedding is unique! The students were asking a variety of great questions.
Homework-Prepare for our class discussion tomorrow
Ask your parents the following questions:
- What traditions did they incorporate into their wedding?
- Did they have a chatan’s tish or kabbalat panim ceremony?
- What was unique about their wedding?
Jot down a few notes as they speak and be ready to share!