Hummus! The Movie
Secret recipes, a Guinness World Record and the power of Hummus to bring Muslims, Christians and Jews together… in the Middle East, America and around the world.
Beyond the mystique and competition, beyond arguments over who makes the best Hummus and even beyond religious and political divides, Hummus! The Movie showcases the personal stories of the colorful men and women who simply live their lives and love their Hummus.
Background and Goals
Hummus! The Movie features three Israeli characters: an ever-smiling Jew, a hard-working Muslim woman, and a young Christian Arab on a restless quest for meaning. Despite their historical and cultural differences, they all have one thing in common: a passionate love of hummus (don’t we all?!). Through viewing this film we will create a profound moment of understanding of this element of Israeli culture, which transcends the food itself, among Jewish students across the diaspora.
● Deepen students’ connection to Israel through film and activities
● Pique students’ curiosity about Israeli culture
● Educate students about Israel’s culture, society and demography through a mature, nuanced
● Provoke student inquiry and dialogue about topics surrounding Israel
● Show the power of food – hummus in particular – and how it can be used to either unite or
● Build Jewish unity by connecting students to peers across the world
DURING THE FILM, PLEASE FILL OUT THE FORM.
DUE: Tuesday, May 12, before class
(If you do not think you will be able to finish watching the movie by May 11, please let me know so we can make other arrangements.)
The movie is in Hebrew with modern English Subtitles. If reading subtitles is challenging, please let me know and we will figure out a better option for you. Make sure you let me know by the end of class, Tuesday, May 5
May 5 Watch the first 30 Minutes
May 6 Watch the next 40 Minutes
May 7 Watch the final 40 Minutes